A friend (and ex-Unitus board member), Tim Stay, just e-mailed me with what I think is a really fantastic idea. His son, Zach (not related to Zach the Dog, by the way...), is a 12th grader at Mountain View High School in Orem, UT.
He's inviting developers and companies to join him in fighting poverty through writing code (note; this could also be a very cool StartupWeekend focus -- wonder if there's one upcoming in Utah?)
If you're interested, full details are below:
My name is Zach Stay, and I'm planning a developers conference in a few weeks this January (2011) that will make applications that will assist in the fight against poverty.
We are calling this event "Hacking Poverty"!
I got this idea from reading about an event called "Random Hacks of Kindness," a developers conference that made applications that helped during natural disasters. One of these was a twitter application that was used heavily during the earthquake in Haiti. That conference was organized and funded by Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, and several other Bay Area firms.
There was no conference like this that I could find that was focusing on making applications to help fight poverty. I also thought we needed something that could get other high-tech companies (and developers) involved and do their part to fulfill their social responsibilities!
I thought you would be interested in helping support this event. These are the things specifically I was wondering if you could contribute.
1. Would you be willing to share this post with your co-workers or friends that work for other companies and promote this event? We would love to have as much support as possible. If they decide to come, have them RSVP at this location.
2. Would you look over our list of possible poverty-fighting applications and see if you would be interested in working on one of them or if you have another poverty-fighting idea that you want to submit for review to be worked on at the conference?
3. If your organization is interested in making a small donation, we would publicize your organization at the event. We are trying to cover the costs of the event, such as food through donations.
Here are the details:
Dates: January 21, 2011 3:00 pm - 9:00 pm
January 22, 2011 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Location: Mountain View High School
665 W Center St
Orem, UT 84057
Bring: - Laptop
- Access to required programming tools
- Additional ideas to be developed
We will provide wifi access.
The developers can come and go throughout the conference. If you can only make it there for a few hours, we would still love to see you. If you can be there the entire time, even better!
We will have a handful of applications we are working on to help fight poverty. The developers that show up will be able to select which application they want to help with. If they have a new idea to be involved with, they can do that as well. We will have application development leads assigned to lead out each project. This is a great chance to make important network connections with peers from other companies.
We will have a handful of VIP speakers who will briefly speak at various points throughout the conference.
We will provide food and snacks for both days.
Once the projects are completed, they will be made available for free download as open source code...
Facebook Group for Hacking Poverty